ENTER AND WORK IN CONFINED SPACES RIIWHS202D
The working in confined space course covers the entering and working in confined spaces in resources and infrastructure industries. This nationally recognised confined space course is appropriate for those working in an (enclosed or partially enclosed confined space) for the purpose of carrying out work or inspections or for those performing entry or stand-by person roles, at worksites within:
- Civil construction
- Metalliferous/ Coal mining and Drilling
- Extractive industries
Basic verbal and written English communication skills sufficient to read material and understand instruction. Where necessary theory assessment can be answered verbally.
HOW LONG WILL TRAINING TAKE?
Typically the training and assessment is competency-based and is a 1 day course.
Please Note-Total time is dependent on competency of each individual.
HOW IS THE TRAINING DELIVERED?
Training and assessment is both practical and theory based and delivery.
FULL COURSE TRAINING– Practical and theory training based on theory concepts and set tasks that need to be completed. The learner is then given a theory and a practical assessment.
Designed for all types of learners giving them access to the equipment and skills required to be competent in the practical skills and knowledge of working in confined spaces in a very focused one on one environment.
Step 1-Completion of theory training and equipment familiarization
Step 2– Learner completes practical training in a structured learning environment in a small group.
Step 3– Learner completes a final theory and practical based assessment and is issued a Statement of attainment and a proof of training card.
YOU WILL LEARN TO:
1 Plan and prepare for working in confined space
- 1.1 Access, interpret and apply procedures for confined space entry and the environmental management plan and ensure the work activity is compliant
- 1.2 Obtain, confirm, clarify and apply work instructions and agreed procedure
- 1.3 Obtain, confirm, clarify and apply safety requirements
- 1.4 Obtain and confirm authorisation (entry permit) meets regulatory requirements
- 1.5 Confirm the emergency response procedure is with the stand-by person and understood
- 1.6 Identify, obtain and implement signage and barrier requirements
- 1.7 Select tools and equipment for the tasks, check for serviceability and rectify or report any faults
- 1.8 Identify, confirm and apply the environmental protection requirements
- 1.9 Position rescue equipment by the entry permit
2 Work in confined space
- 2.1 Gain access to confined space
- 2.2 Ensure that the atmosphere is tested and monitored for harmful elements
- 2.3 Correctly apply tagging and lock-out procedures
- 2.4 Enter the confined space correctly
- 2.5 Maintain ongoing communication with the stand-by person
- 2.6 Comply with entry permit requirements
- 2.7 Monitor and adhere to allocated entry time
3 Exit confined space
- 3.1 Exit confined space correctly
- 3.2 Recover tools, equipment and materials
- 3.3 Conduct inspection of the confined space
- 3.4 Secure access to the confined space
- 3.5 Remove tagging and lock-out
- 3.6 Accurately complete confined space entry permit
4 Clean up
- 4.1 Clear work area and dispose of or recycle materials
- 4.2 Clean, check, maintain and store tools and equipment
- 4.3 Remove, clean and store barriers and signs